Owners of personal residences and business premises have an obligation to prevent injury to anyone invited onto their property. However, if you are involved in a slip & fall accident there are things you must do to protect yourself and your legal rights.
Knowing what to do after suffering a fall can protect you in both the short and long term.
Involved in a Slip & Fall? Do This First
- Document evidence: Be sure to document as many details about the hazard that caused your slip and fall. If you are able, preserve evidence of the scene. Make note of conditions such as slick and uneven flooring, torn carpeting, or debris. Make sure to get the names and contact information of any witnesses. Take pictures and video of the scene and obtain security video from the establishment if possible.
- Seek medical attention: It is most important to seek medical attention if the fall results in injury. Although you may not experience immediate pain or may believe that you’ve only suffered a minor injury, you should still seek medical attention. Don’t try to simply “walk it off”. A physician’s examination may reveal injuries that are not readily apparent. Follow your doctor’s orders concerning your medical treatment and keep copies of all medical bills.
- Report the accident: Make sure you report the accident to management if the incident occurs at a business. If it occurs in a personal residence, inform the owner immediately. Make them aware of what happened, whether through a written, audio, or visual record. State the facts, but avoid discussing fault or any future actions you may take.
- Know your rights: You may be tempted to speak with as many people as possible to get your side of the story heard, but that could land you in a compromised position. Once you’ve reported your accident, do not speak with the representatives or insurance adjusters of the other party. Do not agree to provide any type of recorded or written statement.
- Contact an attorney: Make sure to speak with qualified, experienced personal injury attorneys and have them evaluate your case. Attorneys will use their knowledge and resources to compile information and determine the best course of action to take on your behalf.
A slip & fall accident can lead to long-lasting injury. We want to ensure that you are aware of the best steps to take to protect your legal rights. If you or a loved one are injured in a slip and fall, you can talk to our attorneys here at Siniard, Timberlake, & League for free. We can help.